Sandston named after
Oliver J. Sands
The History of Sandston
text excerpt from "The History of Henrico
AT THE TERMINATION of World
War I, the United States Government owned
nearly six hundred acres of land in Fairfield
District in Henrico County, Virginia and
the electric car trolley line which connected
the property with Richmond.
On this land the United States
Housing Corporation had erected 230 six-room
and bath bungalows, but had completed only
half of them, for the use of the plant personnel,
when the war ended.
The Richmond-Fairfield Railway
Company was organized by Fairfield and Richmond
interests to prevent salvaging of this property
and it was purchased in 1921. The electric
car line facilities were improved and the
homes which had been compIeted were sold
to people who were seeking the quiet and
desirable life of the suburbs. Later, as
the other homes were completed, they were
Many of those “settlers”
are still living in the community and take
great pride in the fact that they were pioneers,
so to speak.
In looking back over the history
of Sandston, we find that the village originally
was called Fairfield but, owing to the fact
that there was another community of that
name in Virginia, it was decided by popular
local opinion, to change the name to honor
the man who was largely responsible for
the success of the project, Mr. Oliver J.
Sands of the Richmond-Fairfield Railway
company, hence Sandston.
Many other individuals had
a large part in making Sandston a desirable
place to live; John B. Finley and his brother,
the lovable “Bob”; R. C. Sainsbury;
Harry Moore and many others.
As the years passed and Sandston
continued to expand, the need was felt for
a better water and sewerage system with
the result that there are now two artesian
wells to furnish pure and abundant water
to the 200,000
gallon tank which distributes it under good
pressure to the homes. The sewerage system
was installed in 1934 and includes a disposal
plant more than capable of handling the
needs of the community for some time.
When the United States entered
World War II, the Government established
the Richmond Army Air Base adjacent to Sandston
and the people of the community were called
upon to assist by housing some of the civilian
workers in their homes so the Base could
be completed as rapidly as possible. As
the work progressed and the buildings were
completed, the Army began moving into the
Base and many soldiers found rooms in Sandston
for their wives so they could be with them
before going overseas to the battlefields.
There being no recreational facilities on
the Base when it was opened, various local
organizations opened their club rooms for
the use of the soldiers. The United Service
Organizations, realizing the need, erected
a beautiful USO recreational building which,
since the end of the war, has been bought
by Sandston citizens with funds obtained
by voluntary subscription.
Sandston itself furnished
over 150 men as soldier, sailor or marine
in the World War II, and now has among its
many organizations an American Legion Post
and its Woman’s Auxiliary. Seven local
men made the supreme sacrifice in the recent
conflict. They are: James R. Chinn, James
13. Blake, Jr, Frank L. Eggleston, Jr.,
Harry G. Feilds, James Houston, Adrian P.
Lyons and G. Sizemore.
There are in Sandston a modern
12-room brick school building, four Churches-Baptist,
Episcopal, Methodist and Presbyterian, each
with an active membership-a Woman’s
Club, Men’s Civic’ Club, Masonic
Lodge, Square Club, Boy Scouts and Cubs,
Girl Scouts and Brownies, Business Men’s
Club, Teen-Age Club and many others; two
doctors, grocery stores and meat markets,
furniture store, electric store and repair
shop, restaurant, druggist, telephone exchange,
service stations and auto repair shops,
post office, laundry, and barber shops.
Cleaning and pressing can be had by a truck
calling at your door, a theatre within five-minutes
ride by auto or bus, and with two bus lines
on as many highways to the business district
of the city of Richmond.
Sandston lies between two
highways; Route 33, better known as the
Nine-Mile Road, and Route 60, the highway
that leads to the Atlantic Coast and which
is a much-travelled tourist route to Williamsburg,
Jamestown, Yorktown and other historical
and interesting places.
Sandston enjoys a climate
that is hard to beat. In the Summer the
temperature will vary by about 10 degrees
cooler than that of the city, and in the
winter the weather is moderate.
The population of Sandston
and vicinity has grown from 400 in 1923
to over 3,000 in 1947. The number of home-owners
will average about 98 per cent.
Sandston is approximately
165 feet above sea level, according to a
survey made by the National Geodetic Society.
Trash and garbage collections
are made on Modays at all homes south of
the Williamsburg Road and on Tuesdays at
all homes north of the highway.
Fire protection is furnished
by the County. The fire-fighting equipment
is housed at Highland Springs and the telephone
number is Fairfield 4444.
from "The History of Henrico County",